Students who are interested in Social Work should schedule an advising appointment as soon as possible by contacting the Student Services Coordinator. The School of Social Work Student Services Coordinator advises Pre-Social Work (PSWK) and Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) students.
Bachelor of Social Work Program Coordinator
College of Health & Social Services Building, Suite 210D
Maria Gurrola, Ph.D.
The application process and admission criteria
- You need to be at least tentatively accepted to NMSU-Main campus. You may apply to NMSU online.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 is required.
- It is important that you complete 60-65 countable degree credits including the NMSU general education requirements and/or be in progress of completing the School of Social Work requirements. Click here for the Sample BSW Degree Plan which lists all pre-requisites and required BSW requirements.
- Per our accreditation, no course credit is given for work or life experience.
- Transfer students who have not yet attended NMSU must attach a copy of a current unofficial transcript of their college course work to date, showing grades and cumulative GPA.Transfer students should contact the Student Services Coordinator as early as possible to determine which of their credits will transfer to NMSU and which will count toward this degree.
- A complete formal application is required (Application form, Resume, three (3) Letters of Reference and Personal Statement). Applications are currently only available in the Fall semester of each year from the Student Services Coordinator, see above for contact information.
- The deadline for submitting the application packet is January 31st. Incomplete application packets are not reviewed or considered for admission.
- Applications that are received after January 31st will only be considered after all on-time applications have been evaluated and there are additional student seats available.
- Final acceptance to the Social Work program will be determined by the School of Social Work Admissions Committee. Letters of acceptance or denial will be sent directly from the School of Social Work to the student in time for advisement and pre-registration for the Fall semester.
If you have questions, click here to contact an academic advisor.